Sunday, February 21, 2010

Make Ahead Chicken Tortilla Soup

I really love making dinner when all I have to do is throw everything in a crock pot and let it cook until we're ready to eat. This make ahead chicken tortilla soup is so easy to put together, and most of the ingredients are items always in your kitchen. Since I got this recipe from Kaylene, I've been keeping a jar of salsa on hand as part of my staples so I know I always have a quick meal when I need one.

The Ingredients
2 cans stewed tomatoes
2 cans chicken broth
1 Tablespoon cumin
2 Tablespoons butter to saute one minced or chopped garlic clove (This is optional. If you don't want to saute your garlic and then add it to your soup, you can just add your garlic to the crock pot without sauteing it in butter.)
1 can medium salsa, about 16 oz. (like Pace or another brand)
4 chicken breasts

At Ten O'Clock
Put everything in the crock pot and cook on low 6-8 hours.

Before Serving
Remove chicken breasts. Shred chicken and return to crock pot. Top individual servings with tortilla chips, shredded cheese and sour cream.

Family Approval
You cannot go wrong with this dish. Even hours after we ate it for dinner, my husband commented on how much he liked it. My picture shows the chips on the side, but it's actually better if your break them up and serve them in the soup.

1 comment:

  1. I love mexican and chicken so I'm gonna try this one...thanks!

    ReplyDelete