Monday, February 22, 2010

Make Ahead Shredded Sweet Pork Salad


When I found this recipe, I was really excited to make it. It sounded so delicious to me. I absolutely love salads, and the creamy tomatillo dressing looked like the perfect blend with the pork. I actually looked forward to eating this all day long. I have to say, I wasn't disappointed.

The Ingredients
3 pound pork roast
1 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon powdered ginger
1 teaspoon chili powder
2 Tablespoons dried minced onions
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder

1 cup brown sugar
1 cup red enchilada sauce

Creamy Tomatillo Dressing:
3 tomatillos, peeled and quartered
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup sour cream
1 package dry buttermilk ranch dressing
6 green onions with ends, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 teaspoon)
1 jalapeno, sliced thin--add to taste
juice of 1/2 lime
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 cup fresh chopped cilantro
3 teaspoons sugar

*Place all ingredients in a food processor or blender and mix well.


At Ten O'Clock
Mix Worcestershire sauce, ginger, chile powder, onions, 1 cup brown sugar, oregano, salt and garlic powder together in a mixing bowl. Place pork in crock pot. Pour sauce over roast. Cook on low all day (about 8 hours at least)

Make tomatillo dressing. Refrigerate.

Chop vegetables for salad and refrigerate. (The recipe also calls for tortilla strips, rice and beans and guacamole on the salad. I'm sure you can put whatever you want on your salad though.)

Before Serving
One hour before serving, remove roast and shred it. Dump out all cooking juices and place shredded pork back into crock pot. Add 1 cup brown sugar and 1 cup enchilada sauce to shredded roast.

Assemble salad on individual plates. Top with shredded sweet pork and the creamy tomatillo dressing.

Family Approval
This pork is absolutely delicious! So yummy!! I'm just glad I made a 6 pound roast because now we can eat tacos with our shredded sweet pork of dinner tomorrow. I loved the salad, but my husband said he would prefer the pork on tacos or burritos.

No comments:

Post a Comment