Sunday, February 14, 2010

Make Ahead Creme Brulee French Toast Bake


In case anybody hasn't noticed, I love make ahead breakfast-type casseroles.  So do my kids and husband.  I usually try to stay away from the sugar loaded kind, but I couldn't resist this decadent recipe for a special breakfast treat. 
The Ingredients
1/2 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
2 tsp dark corn syrup
1 large load country style bread (I didn't use the whole loaf, and I wish that I would have)
5 large eggs
1 1/2 cup half and half
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt

At Ten O'Clock
In small saucepan, melt the butter, sugar and corn syrup, stirring until smooth.  Pour into a 9x13 pan.  Remove the crust from the bread, and cut into one inch wide slices.  Arrange tightly in the pan so that the edges of the slices are touching.  You should end up two or three layers of bread. 

In a bowl, mix towther the eggs, half and half, vanilla and salt.  Pour over bread.  Refrigerate overnight (or all day if you want this as a breakfast-for-dinner)

Before Serving
Remove from the fridge, and let sit for about 30 minutes, or until room temperature.  Prehead oven to 350 degrees.  Bake, uncovered, for 40-45 minutes.  Cut, and flip over to serve. 

Family Approval
How could this not be yummy?  Of course everyone like it.  I almost felt guilty calling it breakfast, but I figured we rounded out the meal with a ton of fruit.  The only problem was that I only made one layer of bread.  It definately needs the whole loaf of bread.  I think I might just have to try recipe again.  Just for educational purposes, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment