Monday, January 4, 2010

Make Ahead Asian Chicken Salad


Monday is my errand day, and by the time I'm done with all my running around, shopping, and putting away, the last thing I want to do is spend a lot of time in the kitchen. This meal was easy, quick and healthy. Plus, I was able to throw it together while my baby napped and my three-year-old played. If only I would have thought ahead to the rice - we ended up with couscous because it only took five minutes instead of thirty right at dinner time.

The Ingredients

2/3 cup oil
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar

1 bag of coleslaw mix
2 individual celery stalks
1 can of mandarin oranges, drained
1 can of chow mien vegetables, drained and rinsed (totally weird, I know. but it really worked well)
1 cup sugar snap peas, cut into thirds
2 cups cooked, diced chicken (I used a rotisserie chicken I picked up while I was grocery shopping)
1/2 cup halved, salted cashews (so not optional!)
At Ten O'Clock

1. Blend oil, soy sauce, ginger and vinegar together in a food processor. Set aside.
2. Combine rest of ingredients in a large bowl.
3. Pour sauce over top, and stir to combine. Chill for at least 2 hours.

Before Serving

Needs no extra attention. Definitely my kind of meal. If desired, serve with rice.

Family Approval
Big thumbs up. As we were eating it, I was thinking about how much I liked it and how my husband probably wouldn't. It turns out he did. He actually like it a lot. Next time, I think I'll add a little more chicken and a little more coleslaw, just 'cause I really like both. The inspiration for this recipe was Sandra Lee's Salad Chinois.

~Cami


1 comment:

  1. Wow! That really beats your can of peas dinner you used to eat in college like every night! Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete