Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Make Ahead Mexican Pork Soup



Usually, I'm not sure what to do with left over, cooked meat.  But, boy, did I know what I wanted to do with my leftover Tuscan Style Pork Roast.  Earlier this week I found a William Sonoma recipe for a Mexican Pork and Rice Soup that used lime juice and cilantro.  I used it as a jumping off point for this yummy soup.

The Ingredients
2 lbs cooked pork, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
4 cloves garlic (or equivalent garlic powder)
2 serrano chiles, seeded and diced
1 cup long grain rice
2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
10 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
2 limes, juiced
1/2 tsp salt (optional)
tortilla chips (optional)

At Ten O'Clock

In a large pan on medium heat, saute onion, bell pepper, garlic, chiles and rice.  Watch the raw rice carefully, or it will burn.  Add the broth.  If not using a slow cooker, bring mixture to a boil, and then cover and reduce heat.  Simmer for twenty minutes.

Add pork, beans, and half of cilantro.  Season to taste with salt and pepper. 

If using a slow cooker, there is no need to simmer on the stove top.  Combine the cooked veggies with the rest of the ingredients in the crock pot.  Cook on low for 4-6 hours, or high for 6-8 hours. 

Before Serving
Stir in the remaining cilantro and the lime juice.  Top with tortilla chips, if desired

Family Approval
Mmmm.  Tasted like a fresh mex burrito in soup form.  The lime and cilantro mix is delicious.  My boys LOVED the pork.  They both inhaled all of the pieces of pork out of their bowls.  Ironically, my husband and I thought that there was almost too much meat in it.  But overall, this was a nice way to use leftover pork roast. 

No comments:

Post a Comment