Sunday, January 17, 2010

Make Ahead Creamy Corn Casserole


My family loves to eat tri-tip for dinner. My 9-year-old is sitting right next to me and just said "it tastes so good." I buy it at Costco, and really, we eat it several times a month. Everybody loves it. Since we eat it so often, I'm always looking for different sides that I can make to help it seem like we're not eating the same meal so much. Like I said several posts ago, my husband loves anything with meat and corn together, so I was excited when I saw this recipe for a corn casserole. The tri-tip can be popped in the oven or grilled right out of the package (it comes marinated) and this make ahead corn casserole was quick and easy to prepare earlier in the day and then baked at the same time as the meat. It would also go well with chicken and pork.

The Ingredients

2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 can cream-style corn
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup butter melted
1 can whole kernel corn, drained
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1 4-oz can diced green chile peppers, drained
1 8.5-oz package corn muffin mix
Shredded cheddar cheese for topping


At Ten O'Clock

Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish or any 2-quart casserole dish; set aside. In a large bowl, combine eggs, cream-style corn, sour cream and melted butter. Stir in whole kernel corn, cheese, onion, and chile peppers. Add muffin mix, stirring until just moistened. Transfer mixture to the prepared casserole dish.

Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to bake.


Before Serving

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake, uncovered, for 1 1/4 hours or until top is golden and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. If desired, top with additional cheddar cheese. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.


Family Approval
Like I said, my husband loves corn, so naturally this dish was a big hit. For some reason I thought the consistency would be a little more like cornbread, but it is very creamy. It was an excellent side for our tri-tip and I would definitely make it again. Unfortunately, my picture doesn't look anywhere as yummy as it actually tastes. You'll just have to take my word for it. :)

~Jena

1 comment:

  1. Looks yummy! Can't wait to try it. We eat those Morton's a lot too. Does your Costco carry the Kinder's Ball Tip Steaks? They are awesome!!! You should try them.

    ReplyDelete