Saturday, January 30, 2010

Make Ahead Kodiak Casserole

When I came across this recipe, I was intrigued.  The ingredient list is full of things I always have on hand, but have never used together.  This make ahead meal is a great way to rotate some of your pantry staples. 

The Ingredients
2 lbs ground beef
4 cups onion, diced
3 green bell peppers, diced
2 cloves garlic
1 18 oz bottle barbeque sauce
1 jar (5-3/4 oz) stuffed green olives, undrained
1 can (4 oz) mushrooms, undrained
1 can condensed tomato soup, undiluted
1 jar (8 oz) picante sauce
12 Tbsp Worchestershire sauce
1 package egg noodles, cooked and drained
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

At Ten O'Clock
In large frying pan (I used two frying pans), brown the meat with the onions, peppers and garlic.  Season with salt and pepper.  Drain.  Stir in the remaining ingredients except the cheese.  Divided between two 9x13 pans.  Refrigerate until ready to bake.

Berfore Serving
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Bake, covered for 1 hour.  Sprinkle with cheese while still hot. 

Family Approval
This was tasty!  My husband and brother-in-law thought it tasted like a really good sloppy joe.  Both of my kids gobbled it up and even ate seconds.  Even though I'm not usually a huge ground beef fan, I loved this.  We all love green olives, but I was a little skeptical about using them in this recipe.  I'm so glad I left them in, because they were delicious.  The give the dish a little heat and are surprisingly good cooked.  This make ahead meal gets two thumbs up from our whole family.  Note:  I froze my second casserole.  I'll let you know how it works frozen, once we cook it in a couple weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment