Friday, January 22, 2010

Make Ahead Pot Roast and Gravy


Ok, so I know the picture looks a little like dog food, but it I guarantee this make ahead pot roast and gravy certainly doesn't taste like it. We went up to Brianhead to play in the snow with the some friends and I put this in the crock pot in the morning so we wouldn't have to worry about dinner. This is quick and easy and the results are fabulous! It was a perfect meal after a long day in the snow.

The Ingredients

1 beef rump roast
1 can cream of mushroom
1 can beef broth
1 Tablespoon worcestershire sauce
1 packet onion soup mix

At Ten O'Clock

Whisk together cream of mushroom, broth and worcestershire sauce in crock pot. Place roast in crock pot and sprinkle everything with onion soup mix. Cook on high.

Before Serving

I like my gravy to be a little bit thicker, so I remove roast and thicken the gravy with some cornstarch. (Remove about half a cup of gravy, add several teaspoons of cornstarch, and whisk until smooth. Add to gravy, whisk, and boil until it thickens.) I slice my roast, put it back in the crock pot, and pour the thickened gravy over it.

Family Approval
Seriously, this is my favorite way to cook a beef roast. The meat is tender and juicy and the gravy is full of flavor. Everyone loves it! Sometimes I think a beef roast dries out as soon as you take it out of the crock pot to serve it, but the gravy helps this roast stay juicy the whole time. It's perfect with mashed potatoes and, of course, I add corn: my man's favorite meal :)

~Jena

No comments:

Post a Comment