Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Make Ahead Creamy Chicken Salad



One of my family's favorite meals is chicken salad. In fact, I can open up a can of chicken and add a little mayo and they're happy. This recipe is not quite as simple as that, but it's much more tasty. I originally had this chicken salad at my second son's baby shower almost 8 years ago. My friend Britney made it and served it in croissants. It was a huge hit! I've modified it slightly (her original recipe called for miracle whip) and served it with homemade wheat bread that I made this morning. If you're counting carbs, this would also be great served over a bed of lettuce.


The Ingredients

3 cups diced chicken (I bought a rotisserie chicken and cut it up)
1 1/2 cups celery
1 Tablespoon parsley flakes (double this amount if using fresh parsley)
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup whipping cream (whipped)
1/4 cup green onion
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 cup chopped almonds
grapes cut in half or quartered (optional)

I chopped everything into small pieces because I knew this was going into sandwiches and I don't like big chunks in my sandwiches.


At Ten O'Clock

Chop all ingredients and mix together. Whip the whipping cream. The recipe says to fold in whipping cream just before serving, but I added it with everything else so I wouldn't have to worry about it later and it was just fine.

Before Serving

Make sandwiches and enjoy! If you were using croissants, you could easily make the whole sandwich earlier in the day and just pull out of the fridge to serve at dinner time.

Family Approval
When my husband took his first bite, he said, "um... yeah". Lots of nights we are super busy during dinner time with sports practices or music lessons. This is a great meal-on-the-go and it's perfect as a leftover for lunch the next day.

~Jena

No comments:

Post a Comment